(Originally published in the May 2012 issue of the Nova Scotia Business Journal - "Northern Pulp - Abercrombie Point Mill" special advertising feature)
Over the years, sustainable forestry and silviculture has been a key focus for Northern Pulp.
The company voluntarily practices non-declining inventory management across all its lands. It follows multiple international environmental/forest management standards — standards developed by scientists, environmentalists, and foresters.
Northern Pulp is audited to numerous third-party certification systems all of which use forest sustainability as the guiding principle. This ensures its plans are executed to the highest standards.
The company’s structured, systematic approach to forest operations begins with developing a site-specific management plan that ensures:
- Efficient, responsible harvesting
- Protection of all values on the site
- Setting up the site for regeneration
For Northern Pulp, planting trees is just as important as harvesting:
• Every site is assessed after two years of natural growth and a determination is made if planting is required to achieve full regeneration.
• Native seedlings are planted and grown at its own nursery.
• Re-planted sites are monitored and checked regularly throughout the first 15 years of regeneration to ensure growth quality.
Northern Pulp’s seedling nursery is comprised of 27 greenhouses and tree orchards in Debert with the capability of producing in excess of 10 million seedlings annually. The nursery has been growing seedlings since 1980 and, in 2012, the total output exceeded 190 million seedlings. Northern Pulp is the only Nova Scotia forestry company to grow every seedling it plants. The Debert nursery supplies its entire planting operation as well as other forestry companies in the province.
Northern Pulp’s forest management and regeneration practices continue to ensure the long-term viability of its business and the forestry sector in North and North central Nova Scotia.
*Read more Northern Pulp stories at: http://www.ns.dailybusinessbuzz.ca/Industry-Spotlight/Northern-Pulp---Abercrombie-Point-Mill-23613